July 26, 2015 – Richard Mariott – “What Drives You?”
What Drives You!
I am driven!
I don’t about you, but I am a driven individual and have been most of my life that I can remember. You may be able to identify with the following:
- To take responsibility given to me and know that I am responsible.
- To work hard to accomplish tasks in a timely manner.
- To do the best job I possibly can in all things I take on to do.
- Even if it something I didn’t really want to or volunteer for – I must do my best.
Many have asked “Are you still in the ministry?”
– My answer is YES because I am driven by HIS calling to my life to reach the lost.
As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received.
What Drives You? Let’s list a few things we see in our culture.
- I’m not saying that this is a sin! Not at all, in this day and culture we live you need money to live and provide for yourself and family
- I stepped out of self-employment, owning several different business that were doing good, to fulfill a call to full time ministry at the age of 39. I had already been doing ministry as a volunteer and money wasn’t the objective.
- However money can be a deterrent if it is not a balance if it is not a balance of a calling God has for you.
- To Win
- How many times do we see someone in the news that was driven by Money or to Win at all costs? These two, many times go hand & hand feeding the other.
- Lance Edward Armstrong is an American former professional cyclist. he previously won the Tour de France seven consecutive times from 1999 to 2005, but was stripped of those victories in 2012 after admitting a doping scandal.
- There are people so concerned about their legacy instead of their calling.
- To Retire
- I met a older gentlemen with I was traveling and flying back from Denver to Tulsa, OK. He sat next to me, he asked “Sir, what type of work do you do?” I took the next 10-15 mins to tell him about Royal Rangers working through the churches with men and boys.
- I told him I don’t really consider this work, however it is my calling and I’m one of the few that gets paid to do it full time. Traveling around the USA and sometimes the world to speak, promote and encourage men to reach boys with the message of Jesus Christ.
- I told him that I travel almost every weekend from Springfield, MO and I’m honored to do this.
- He asked, have you always been from Springfield? No, we consider our home Sacramento, CA, however this is where the national office is and it was required for us to move to take this appointment as national commander.
- After about 30-40 minutes of answering more of his questions, I asked “Sir, are you from Tulsa or Denver area?” He said, “I have a very large land and farm inheritance just outside of Tulsa – I grew up here and lived until about 30, I went through a divorce, didn’t have any children and moved away at that time to Portland, OR. I got a job working for the cit and retired two years ago with over 30 year’s service. This was my life’s dream to retire!
- I said, “Congratulations on fulfilling your life’s dream!”
- He looked at me and with tears in his eyes and a trembling voice said “Sir, I didn’t take a chance on anyone, anything or any calling. After my divorce I never wanted to marry again; I went to church and consider myself a good Christian, but didn’t really get involved helping others.
- Yes I have my retirement and I’m set good for life and now a family inheritance worth over a million dollars. I didn’t want to come back here, I have only to find a realtor to sell the place.
- I’ve sat here listening to you and realized that “You are making a difference every day in someone’s life either by helping men or boys. You choose the opposite road that I did and have made a difference for so many.
- I said, “God, I’m sure had a plan for you and it’s never to late to make a change.”
Let’s ask another question “What is Your Purpose”?
What is your PURPOSE in life and what is your Philosophy, Vision or Marching Orders?
Dan Betzer’s Church in Florida Mission Statement is: REACH, TEACH, and SEND!
- To Reach the lost with the Good News- Jesus died for your sins
- To Teach them and instill sound biblical truths in the Bible
- To Send them to spread the good news – “The Great Commission”
Royal Rangers for over 30 years used the words “REACH, TEACH and KEEP BOYS FOR CHRIST”
What are you trying to do in your life? Tomorrow morning when you get up what will be driving you or something that compels you.
1. God designed you, everything God designed and or built has a purpose
- You are the product of God and he designed you
- He has a purpose for You, it should be the purpose that drives you
2. Do you know that God’s purpose is for you?
- What are you trying to do with your life is your Philosophy
- God expects you to use your brain
- How are you going to accomplish what God has for you?
- This is not a hope-so gospel
- Without a Vision people die
3. We live in a time in this country when many believe they have “Entitlement”
- You have the responsibility of your destiny
- A person who is not productive, and are capable, the Bible says you are worse than an infidel.
And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.
For God’s gifts and His call are irrevocable
37No, in all things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers 39neither height nor depth nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
III. The biggest question is “What Drives You”
If I may, let me leave you with a few thoughts
- Do you love life?
- Do you know how long you will be here?
- Every day maximize the time here on earth.
- Billy Graham thought we was going to be a ball player, God had another plan
- I don’t know about you but my Bible says “I am the handy work of God”
- If you wait for perfect for perfect conditions you may never do his WILL for your life.
WALK BY FAITH
7 By faith Noah, when warned about things not yet seen, in holy fear built an ark to save his family. By his faith he condemned the world and became heir of the righteousness that is in keeping with faith.
8 By faith Abraham, when called to go to a place he would later receive as his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going. 9 By faith he made his home in the promised land like a stranger in a foreign country; he lived in tents, as did Isaac and Jacob, who were heirs with him of the same promise. 10 For he was looking forward to the city with foundations, whose architect and builder is God.
39 These were all commended for their faith, yet none of them received what had been promised, 40 since God had planned something better for us so that only together with us would they be made perfect.
You must be logged in to post a comment.