Colossians 3:1-3, If then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God. 2 Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth. 3 For you died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God.
Jesus warned against misplaced affection and wasted effort.
Matthew 6:21 He said, For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
Our affections are misplaced if we fix them onlyon such things as:
- The World – 1 John 2:15, Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
If you would rather be here then there, then you should ask yourself the question… Why? Paul said, to die is gain, to live is for Christ gain.
- Temporal Pleasures – 2 Timothy 3:1-5, But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: 2 For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, 3 unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, 4 traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, 5 having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away!
In the last day you will need to recognize the difference.
- Human Relationships – Matthew 10:37, He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me.
No one gets to be more important than God… NO ONE!
- Ourselves – 2 Timothy 3:2, For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
We are only important in the plan of God, we are not important outside His plan and will. If I’m about Him, He is about me. I separate myself from Him when it becomes about me. I must trust that His best is the best for me, and He knows.
- Money – 1 Timothy 6:10, For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.
Money can be a great tool… we use tools… that’s good. But when we become a “tool”… it all bad.
As we seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, other interests will take their proper place.
Matthew 6:33, But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.