January 27, 2013 – Pastor Tim – “You Ain’t in Charge This Time, Sparky” – Click to download
Hebrews 11:8, “By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to go out to the place which he would receive as an inheritance. And he went out, not knowing where he was going.”
God promises us a place in heaven if we will follow Him. John 14:1-3, “Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me. 2 In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also.” Between the time we accept Jesus as our Savior and we go home to heaven we are on a journey. We can toss the self-made map! Our own plans won’t do us any good on this journey! Isaiah 55:8-9, “For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways,” says the Lord. 9 “For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways,
And My thoughts than your thoughts.”
Psalm 37:23-26, “The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord, And He delights in his way. 24 Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the Lord upholds him with His hand. 25 I have been young, and now am old; Yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken, Nor his descendants begging bread. 26 He is ever merciful, and lends; And his descendants are blessed.
Many have taken to calling this a journey. This is more like an adventure…and adventure in faith:
Future Adventures In Trusting Him
- We will need to pack light, cuz we don’t know what we’ll need. Paul said in Philippians 4:11-13 and 19, “Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content: 12 I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. 13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Now verse 19 And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.
- We are venturing out on the 100% grace of God. Ephesians 2:8-10, “For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9 not of works, lest anyone should boast. 10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.”
We don’t get to know where we are going until we get there. We don’t know what we’ll see until we see it. Is that a scary way to travel? For some, yes. For others, it’s the only way. On this particular road trip it is essential. (Sound wisdom for the road…)
Proverb 3:5-26, “Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
And lean not on your own understanding;
6 In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He shall direct your paths.
7 Do not be wise in your own eyes;
Fear the Lord and depart from evil.
8 It will be health to your flesh,
And strength to your bones.
9 Honor the Lord with your possessions,
And with the first-fruits of all your increase;
10 So your barns will be filled with plenty,
And your vats will overflow with new wine.
11 My son, do not despise the chastening of the Lord,
Nor detest His correction;
12 For whom the Lord loves He corrects,
Just as a father the son in whom he delights.
13 Happy is the man who finds wisdom,
And the man who gains understanding;
14 For her proceeds are better than the profits of silver,
And her gain than fine gold.
15 She is more precious than rubies,
And all the things you may desire cannot compare with her.
16 Length of days is in her right hand,
In her left hand riches and honor.
17 Her ways are ways of pleasantness,
And all her paths are peace.
18 She is a tree of life to those who take hold of her,
And happy are all who retain her.
19 The Lord by wisdom founded the earth;
By understanding He established the heavens;
20 By His knowledge the depths were broken up,
And clouds drop down the dew.
21 My son, let them not depart from your eyes—
Keep sound wisdom and discretion;
22 So they will be life to your soul
And grace to your neck.
23 Then you will walk safely in your way,
And your foot will not stumble.
24 When you lie down, you will not be afraid;
Yes, you will lie down and your sleep will be sweet.
25 Do not be afraid of sudden terror,
Nor of trouble from the wicked when it comes;
26 For the Lord will be your confidence,
And will keep your foot from being caught.”
The things you need for this “road trip” are wisdom, understanding and knowledge all found in the Book (Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth) and in His presence.
Oswald Chambers says, “Each morning you wake it is to be a “going out,” building in confidence on God…Have you been asking God what He is going to do? He will never tell you. God does not tell you what He’s going to do; He reveals to you who He is.” When we know Him we know His ways. Hebrews 11:5-6, “By faith Enoch was taken away so that he did not see death, “and was not found, because God had taken him”; for before he was taken he had this testimony, that he pleased God. 6 But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.” Do we believe in a miracle-working God, and will we go out in surrender to Him until we are not surprised one bit at anything He does?
- Suppose God is the God you know Him to be, then it would be foolish and a waste of time to worry! Unless, of course, we do not know Him well enough to trust Him.
- Our attitude of life needs to be a continual going out in dependence upon God, which is a satisfaction to Jesus.
- We must to learn to go out and experience the life of faith. I had a pastor friend tell me, “There’ a fine line between faith and stupidity.” That’s a line we need to learn to walk, keeping nothing between ourselves and God.
1 Peter 5:6-7, “Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time, 7 casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.”
- On this adventure, we need to surrender completely every area of your life to the Lordship of Christ. Hold nothing back. Give Him all the keys. There’s no time for hypocrisy now. Allow Him to have absolute control in your life, He will fill you with His Spirit. He will then continue to expand your capacity to be filled for the rest of your life, producing more and more…fruit.
Give it to God, and then stop stressing about it. It’s in God’s hands. He may not solve it for you right away. He may show you how to solve it on your own. But it is God’s now. Let Him help you with it all.